Sunday, December 29, 2013

100 ways to photography


A book about photography. Exploring beyond the limits of the camera, touching on increasing the photographers’ sensibilities, courage and humility. A book for those who wants to go beyond the technical and technique. Learn to capture those wonderful moments.
Photography is an art form.
The camera is the brush.
Light is the medium.
And you are the creativity.




Through 30 years of exploring photography, I realized that photography is not only about the camera, it is also about the photographer and the subject. My exploration oscillates between the camera and exteriority of the camera.
I learned all about the camera in the initial few years, my work was well received but I felt that I had hit a snag; I stagnated. I asked myself where do I go from here? Where is the limit of photography? Does my work need rejuvenation from outside of itself? Yes, after much searching and experimenting, I found various ways to raise my acuity, bringing my work to another realm. Here I would share some of these with you. Outside the camera, the horizon has expanded far and wide. I felt exhilarated and revitalized.
Take my inhibition, an instance of exteriority of the camera, by removing inhibition, portraiture takes on another pictorial landscape. Yes, by learning from psychology and Neuro-linguistic programming, borrowing from their studies and practices, I learned to remove inhibition and my photographs take on new meaning.
This book will take you to greater height as a photographer. Follows the steps with discipline and more practices, you will definitely improve.
Some tips are easily grasped. Some have to be experienced before you understand them. Some needs faith to see the results. Some may seem a little odd. However, if you follow them, you would later discover their relevance. Then again, what works for others may not work for you, because we are all different. Try different ways of using these tips. There is no sequence in using this book, each tip is self serving, or it can be combined in various ways to suit your needs. Perhaps doing the opposite may serve you well too.
E-books, audio books and video books will be published in due time. So look me up on Facebook and join the 100tips Photography group. For those interested to get in touch with me, please email me at choomengfoo[a]gmail.com
BUY - http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/100-ways-to-photography—the-expert-advice/15902534

For purchase in Singapore, following are the places:
  1. Fotohubhttp://www.fotohub.com/ContactUs.aspx
  2. 35mm Colour Lab Pte Ltd, Second Avenue Junction, 733 Bukit Timah Road, 269748, tel:6467 5535, Open Weekdays 9:30am-7:30pm; Sat 9:30am-6pm

Internationally it can be purchase online:
  1. Amazon, paperback and kindle, ipad, http://www.amazon.com/100-ways-Photography-Expert-advice/dp/9810843755/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1306426940&sr=1-6
  2. Hardcover, paperback, e-copy, pdf : http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/100-ways-to-photography—the-expert-advice/15902534
  3. Paperbackhttps://www.createspace.com/3615160
  4. Paperbackhttp://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/2180725#store-price

Reviews you may be interested to read:
  1. https://www.createspace.com/en/community/community/createspaceoverview/introduce_yourself/blog/2011/05/22/100-ways-to-photography
  2. http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/100-ways-to-photography—the-expert-advice/15902534
  3. Here is a short video on the book, http://youtu.be/lzZ7GPkvS6I
  4. On Lulu Spotlight, http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/insecthunter

  1. Mcclelland says:
    Thanks a million to Meng Foo for his book on a 100 ways to Photography Today, both my teenage son and I are able to produce better quality pictures. It is also a great motivation for beginners like myself as its fun, easy to understand and gives me a different perspective of photography.
  2. Regu says:
    The lenses of the cameras speaks volume of Meng Foo. For potential wannabes the 100 Ways to Photography is the way to go. Excellent, Meng Foo.
  3. Harveen Narulla says:
    A thoughtfully assembled collection, allowed me to feel as if I was behind the lens and being gently guided in exploring my own creativity, not the author’s. Meng Foo has achieved what few teachers do – translating tips into hints that you can come upon in your own journey, instead of just a straight-up “how-to” lesson. People just starting out on their photography journey will appreciate this.
  4. Suganthan says:
    Meng foo’s style of teaching will make any novice an expert photographer. With his book , one can say 101 ways for photography. Instead of 100 ways !! It’s a must buy for all wannabe photographers !!
  5. Pram says:
    One must pick up this book for it is a good read. Rest assured that it will encourage and challenge anyone to pick up a camera again and step forward as a photograher with renewed purpose and passion.
    All who are new or familiar with Meng Foo’s works would often wonder and ponder on how he captured those wonderful moments with his camera. Well in this book, he writes as a teacher in an artist, humbly attempting to provide an answer by sharing his thoughts and feelings through his many explorations on photography.
    The book offers sound advices and recommenations for sure but more importantly to me ,,, it re-affirms the author’s continued passion to enage us with his camera, his thinking and his art.
  6. Andrew Yew says:
    I have a whole shelf full of photographic books and magazines but this little book stands out as one that is the easiest to understand and apply. It is very encouraging and does not intimidate you at all. The tips are higly practical and easy to use. An excellent guide to better photographers, especially for beginners.
  7. Marina Blue says:
    As a beginner in this field of photography, this book is inspirational, motivational and also a reminder that photography is not always about the technical aspects of it but to indulge in the joy of preserving a time of life as we lived. Snapshots of emotions, candid or tender images. This book reminds us to enjoy and as Ralph Waldo Emerson said, ” It is a happy talent to know how to play “. We make noble use of our leisure to afford us the luxury to play. A fascinating book that helps to enrich our vision through the lens of a camera.
  8. Andrew Yew says:
    Seldom do I see a photography book that teaches photography in such a simple and practical approach; ways that you can apply immediately. While this book is quite comprehensive, I have seen Meng Foo’s work and there is still much to be taught by him. So this is just a basic 101 by him. Hope for more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment